Kanpai is the Japanese equivalent for the English word "Cheers." This fall, I will be attending Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. The following accounts are the events of my journey as they unfold.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

大学生活 - Part 3

I meant to write Part 3 a lot sooner, but the past week has been a blur. This is the third and final "大学生活" post. To be honest, creating the title of a blog post (or of any article of writing) seems to be the hardest part. You do not want it to be boring, but at the same time you also do not want it to be cheesy. Clever and relevant is the key. Yikes, now I am just rambling on and on and you guys are probably wondering when the heck I am actually going to be talking about something interesting.

Okay, so if any of you have forgotten, 大学生活 translates to university life. In a previous post, I talked about the importance of student organizations. Before I came to Japan, I was really interested in joining the basketball team here at Sophia. By the time I arrived, the season was almost over and if I decided to join, then I would have to leave before the end of the next season. Plus they practice 5, sometimes 6, days a week. I just do not have the time for that type of commitment. However, there are also several basketball clubs. I was finally able to participate in one of the events, and I have to say I had a fun time. There were some pretty skilled players and some that were just there for fun. I liked the overall atmosphere of the group so I am considering joining.



<=== Mt. Fuji!

This is the view of Mt. Fuji from the roof of my dormitory. The picture was taken just after sunset. I did not actually take this photograph, but mine did not turn out as good as this one did. Although the view of Mt. Fuji is awesome, I actually prefer going up on the roof after dark. I love seeing the night skyline and the lights all around and the trains going by.


Last week, I also had the opportunity to play Futsal for the first time. Futsal is a type of indoor soccer that uses a smaller ball and a smaller playing field. There was about 20 people from the SISEC group that showed up, some played and some just watched. The coolest part about this was that the field was on the roof of a 10 story building. We could see the skyline for miles, it was so incredible. By now you must have figured out that I love city skylines. I was too busy playing Futsal to remember to take any pictures, and I know people love pictures so I will throw in a random photo.


Random
Photo
======>

This is SISEC. We had just finished drinking at an Izakaya. If you look very carefully you can see me just to the left of the tree in the middle. (If you click on the picture, it should open up another window to get a larger version of the image) I am actually looking away from the camera to my left. If I remember correctly, one person had a little to much to drink and fell to the ground.

Anyway, I have a few midterms this week so I am going to abruptly end my post.

No comments:

Post a Comment