Kanpai is the Japanese equivalent for the English word "Cheers." This fall, I will be attending Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. The following accounts are the events of my journey as they unfold.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Study Time Skyline

I have been very busy the last two weeks with midterms, and club activities, but I figured I better throw in a few lines for y'all to read.

Despite being on the other side of the globe, lately I have felt like I am experiencing normal life with just a slight twist. I had a Thanksgiving dinner. ( In Japan? No way!?!). Earlier today, during lunch, I was in a little ramen shop, and I heard the song, "Santa Baby" playing on the radio. I couldn't help but smile as I looked at my phone and realized it was December 1st.

Also, it might have taken a little bit longer than in Wisconsin, but the leaves have turned red and orange. The leaves turning red and orange, are just a normal part of Autumn, right? Well here people make an event out of it. "Let's go see the 紅葉!” is what they say...

What? Can't read Japanese?

haha just playin'... 紅葉 (kouyou) is a noun that literally describes the colors of Autumn. Anyway, next weekend I am climbing Mount Takao, to see this very phenomena.

Yes, I said phenomena. It is something that is cherished here every year. That is the feeling I get. Just yesterday, I saw two girls walking by a tree that had colored leaves and one of them shouted, "きれい!" (which means beautiful), and then the other girl whipped out her phone to take a picture. I like how the people here take joys in some of the small things I usually consider normal.

After I visit Mount Takao, I will post a couple pictures and talk more about it.

As you can see none of this so far has related to the title of the blog post. Now I will explain.

I have started to get into a solid routine of studying. I still have a long way to go when it comes to my language skills here, so I hope I can keep up the current trend.

The place I can usually get the most work done is at the library on campus. I go up to the 8th floor and crank out as much Kanji as I can. (Kanji are these things===> 月火水木金)

Albeit, sometimes I find it hard to study on the 8th floor because when I look out the window to my left I see this....



...and boy do I love Skylines....

No comments:

Post a Comment