Kanpai is the Japanese equivalent for the English word "Cheers." This fall, I will be attending Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. The following accounts are the events of my journey as they unfold.

Monday, November 14, 2011

大学生活 - Part 1

Almost a month since my last post?

I apologize to all of the diehard followers of my blog (bwahaha yeah right.) My excuse is that I am having to much fun to give a hoot about my blog.

Regardless, my life here in Japan is steadily progressing. The words that I used for the title for this post translate to college life. What I have come to realize, is that the most important aspect of college life in Japan revolves around the student organizations that you belong to. To some extent, this is similar in the United States, but I really feel like the students here put their heart and soul into the groups that they are involved in.

Two weeks ago, Sophia University had a three day long school festival. At this festival, many of the students organizations hosted food and beverage booths in order to raise money. There was also a main stage that displayed the talents from various groups like hip-hop dancing, acapella, and many others.

While it was nice that I had 3 days off from school, helping with the festival was hard work. Ever since joining SISEC, I have been involved in weekly meetings and events. For the school festival we hosted a booth selling tapioca. I help all three days with setting up the tent, decorations, and selling the tapioca. We were very successful, selling roughly 3000 units in 3 days. We completely sold out before the end of each day.

Aside from helping out selling tapioca, I also had the chance to try many of the foods and beverages that other groups were selling. At the end of the third day we all went to an izakaya to celebrate a job well done.

Izakaya is the most common type of drinking establishment here in Japan. The one we went to, had about a $25 entrance fee. Sounds pricey, but actually it was a great deal. For 3 hours it was all you can drink, and they constantly bring you food to snack on. Actually, it was more like a feast. The tables were really low to the ground but the floor is recessed so I could still put my legs under the tables.

Wow, sorry to suddenly change the subject, but I forgot to talk about Halloween. I felt like a kid all over again this year during Halloween. For my costume I combined the mask from the immortals in the movie "300" and the outfit of the grim reaper. The readers who already have me added on Facebook have probably already seen a hundred photos of me in this costume, but for those of you who don't....

Yes, this is me, and yes I am at a convenience store reading a manga (comic book).

To start out the night, my dorm hosted a Halloween party. We all had food and drinks and then some of us did a tour of the neighborhood. I had a fun time scaring people, and just casually decided to read some manga, while the store attendants watched in horror.

At around 11 PM, I hopped on the train, still wearing my costume, and headed towards Shibuya to meet up with some people and then go to a club for a night of dancing. Halloween in Japan does not have as many participants as back in the States, so as I walked through the train stations I received the stares of petrified pedestrians. Not everyone was freaked out, because every few minutes or so, some random people wanted to take a picture with me. Most of the time, people would ask me to take off my mask to see my face, and when I did they were almost more shocked to see that I was a foreigner than actually seeing me in a mask.....ha.ha.haaa...

A little after midnight, I arrived in Shibuya and met up with my friends and then we headed to Club Asia. The headlining event at the club was a performance by Yasutaka Nakata, who is a member of the electronic duo Capsule, and the producer of one of the biggest pop groups in Japan called Perfume. There was also a female hip-hop/pop duo, called HaliCali, that performed and I managed to get front row. The club was packed and the music was great.

There is still a lot that has happened over the past month that I want to talk about, but I got homework to do, so I am going to write a part 2 tomorrow....

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment