Kanpai is the Japanese equivalent for the English word "Cheers." This fall, I will be attending Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. The following accounts are the events of my journey as they unfold.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Am I really here?

Well, I finally made it! I won’t waste your time wining about how tired I am, or that I was up for 41 hours straight. Oh wait, I just did. Anyway, I just got a full 8 hours of sleep and I feel great and ready to explore.

The plane ride was about 12 hours, which was actually pretty cool because it was 2 hours shorter than I had previously thought. I couldn’t sleep at all, but it still went by relatively quickly.

There was a student from Sophia University named Shogo who met me at the airport to help me find my way to my dormitory.

My first impression of the train system went well. Since Narita Airport is around 2 hours away from the dorms, I got the chance to see a few different stations. Some were busier than others, but I haven’t had to deal with a fully packed train yet.

Riding on the train and walking through the station felt really surreal. I felt like I was in a lucid dream. I have spent so much time preparing for this trip that it is actually hard to believe I am really here.

When we got to the dorms, I met the manager of the building and some of the tenants. I was surprised to find out that there are actually way more Japanese tenants than exchange students.

I didn’t get the chance to take any interesting pictures yesterday, so you’ll have to settle for a picture of some of the things I picked up yesterday. The green colored card is used for riding on the trains. The salmon colored card and the key are used to get into the dorms. The lower half comprises of Japanese yen, the 10,000 yen note is worth roughly $130 US.

That's all I got for you today, folks. Look for more soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment