Kanpai is the Japanese equivalent for the English word "Cheers." This fall, I will be attending Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. The following accounts are the events of my journey as they unfold.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

大学生活 - Part 2

Ever since joining the student organization SISEC, I have made a lot of new friends, and have been able to participate in some pretty remarkable events.

This past weekend, I decided to participate in an event hosted by a different student organization known as GL-Net (Global Network.) It is another organization aimed towards communication between Japanese and international students. The event was a day trip to Kamakura, which is roughly 50 km from Tokyo.

Oh yeah, for all the American readers, that is about 30 miles. I have become accustomed to using liters, kilometers, and even the Celsius scale. Living in a country that uses these forms, I have since become dumbfounded as to why the U.S. still uses such bizarre units of measurement.

Anywaaaay, back to the day trip===> Kamakura is famous for its numerous temples and a popular beach. One of the most recognizable places in Kamakura is the temple that hosts a giant buddha statue, known as Daibutsu.
This is me standing about 15 meters (I MEAN 50 FT!!) in front of the Buddha statue.

Oh and before you say anything, I have already had several people ask me if I am getting skinnier, and the answer is yes, I am. Despite eating about 4 times a day, I have lost 10 kilograms (22 pounds) since I have arrived. Although, I think I have finally leveled off and will maintain my current weight.

Back to the Buddha.... Since I had known about this statue/city for years, I am glad I took the time to go on this trip.

The next temple had a traditional Japanese garden in it. This is one of my favorite photos so far. You have to recognize how much time and effort goes into every little detail of these temple designs and gardens, in order to fully appreciate them. If any of you find this interesting, take a look into visiting Anderson Gardens, in Rockford, Illinois. I have been there and it really gives you the feeling of actually being in Japan. Wait, I just realized it is now November. Andersen Gardens is closed and will re-open, late April 2012.

Being in a place like this really makes you feel like you are traveling back in time. I really enjoy learning about world history, and ever since coming to Japan, my interests in history have risen. One of the classes that I am currently enrolled in at Sophia University, is called Japanese Literature. For the past month we have focused our class around The Tale of Genji. It is often described by many scholars as the world's first novel. Of course, I am reading the English translation (although even Japanese people have difficulty reading the original text.)

However, the highlight of my day was something many of you may find pretty boring. I saw the Pacific Ocean. Up until then, I had never seen any ocean with my own eyes (Aside from the window of a plane, 3 seats to the left.)

It is slightly hard to see, but the coastline is behind me.

I have plenty of other pictures and stories about this day trip, so if anyone is interested in hearing more, let me know and we can talk more about it.

Actually, there is more that happened in the past month that I would like to talk about, so I am going to make, my 大学生活 posts into a trilogy.

I will write Part 3 tomorrow....



No comments:

Post a Comment